In Sickness and in Health: An Exploration of Illness and Wellness
The U.S. Academic Decathlon® is excited to announce that the overall curricular theme for 2019–2020 will be In Sickness and in Health: An Exploration of Illness and Wellness. Following is some general information on the topics in each of the subject areas.
- SCIENCE: The science topic will be an introduction to the biology of cancer.
- LITERATURE: The literature curriculum will include critical reading, one long work of literature, and selected shorter works. The long work of literature will be the 1818 version of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein.
- ART: The art curriculum will include a section on art fundamentals and will largely focus on an exploration of illness and wellness in art.
- MUSIC: The music curriculum will introduce students to various musical works from across the centuries that will allow them to examine the role of mortality in Western art music.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE: The social science curriculum will introduce students to the history of healthcare.
- ECONOMICS: The economics curriculum will cover fundamental economic concepts, microeconomics, and macroeconomics and will also include a thematic section on health economics.
- MATHEMATICS: The mathematics curriculum will cover algebra and trigonometry.*
The full subject area outlines will be posted on the U.S. Academic Decathlon website on May 1 and will also be published in the U.S. Academic Decathlon Study Guide, which will begin shipping on May 15.
* The 2019–20 mathematics curriculum and materials will be the same as were used for the 2016–17 U.S. Academic Decathlon.